Perspectives; Thoughts; Comments; Opinions; Discussions

Reported By Jack Davis | Published February 12, 2019 at 12:11pm | Modified February 12, 2019 at 2:42pm

URL of the original posting site: https://www.westernjournal.com/nearly-2-weeks-alleged-hate-crime-smollett-hands-limited-redacted-phone-records/

Actor Jussie Smollett

Actor Jussie Smollett (Rachel Luna / Getty Images)

While he did provide them Monday, the records were “limited and redacted,” according to WLS.

“We are very appreciative of the victim’s cooperation. However, the records provided do not meet the burden for a criminal investigation as they were limited and heavily redacted. Detectives may be following up with him to request additional data to corroborate the investigative timeline,” police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said, calling the redactions “extreme.”

Police are likely to require more information from Smollett, the Chicago Tribune reported.

Smollett, who is black and openly gay, said the two men shouted racist and homophobic slurs at the actor, before they put a noose around his neck and doused him with a chemical. Police are investigating the incident as a possible hate crime. Smollett also claimed the attackers referenced Trump’s MAGA slogan.

Police said standard investigatory procedure requires independent verification of the phone call that allegedly took place during the attack.

“We have no reason to doubt the statements, but for a criminal investigation, we need to independently confirm the phone records,” Guglielmi said.

Police said they have examined surveillance cameras in the area of the alleged attack, but have yet to see any evidence that what Smollett described took place. However, the cameras did not record every part of Smollett’s walk through the neighborhood where he was attacked.

Smollett’s spokesperson said the actor was the victim in the incident and should be treated as such.

“Chicago PD has repeatedly informed us that they find Jussie’s account of what happened that night consistent and credible,” the spokesperson’s statement read.

“Superintendent Johnson has been clear from day one that Jussie is a victim. We are continuing to work closely with the Chicago PD and remain confident that they will find Jussie’s attackers and bring them to justice.”

ABOUT THE REPORTER:

Summary

More Info Recent Posts Contact

Jack Davis is a free-lance writer who joined The Western Journal in July 2015 and chronicled the campaign that saw President Donald Trump elected. Since then, he has written extensively for The Western Journal on the Trump administration as well as foreign policy and military issues.

"Thank You" for taking the time to comment. I appreciate your time and input.

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Tag Cloud

%d bloggers like this: