URL of the original posting site: https://www.conservativereview.com/articles/yes-cnn-the-msm-is-fake-news/
Poor CNN. Donald Trump hurt their little feelings again. This time it was in an advertisement touting the “success” of his first 100 days in office. CNN was offended and labeled the ad false because Trump had labeled CNN fake news. The problem is, the five journalists with “fake news” blazoned across their faces are purveyors of biased and fake news. CNN fell into the trap again.
Here’s a look at the ad.
The part CNN gets upset at is about twenty seconds in, where pictures of a variety of news personalities were shown with the words “fake news” over the pictures. CNN said, in a statement, that its network and the rest of the mainstream media are not fake news, so the ad is false and can’t air until the graphic is changed.
But in fact, CNN, and especially the journalists in that graphic, have peddled biased and fake news stories.
The fake five
The five journalists in the graphic were Andrea Mitchell, Wolf Blitzer, Rachel Maddow, George Stephanopoulos, and Scott Pelley. Each one of those journalists has proffered fake or misleading news stories. Here’s just a sampling:
- Andrea Mitchell: Mitchell said that Juanita Broaddrick, the woman who has accused Bill Clinton of rape, was discredited. That assertion was so egregious that NBC had to scrub the segment it was on, without even an editors’ note, as the Washington Free Beacon explains. That’s one of many with Mitchell.
- Wolf Blitzer: Blitzer’s producers asked the DNC which questions he should ask Donald Trump in a foreign policy interview. Wikileaks uncovered that the DNC told staffers that “CNN was looking for questions” not just for Trump but for many of the GOP primary candidates, according to the Washington Times.
- Rachel Maddow: It’s hard to know where to start with MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow. So here’s the obvious. In a feat reminiscent of the opening of Al Capone’s vault, Maddow hyped that she “had Trump’s tax returns.” The only problem was they were 10 years old and showed that he paid a lot of taxes.
- George Stephanopoulos: Stephanopoulos failed to disclose to ABC that he had donated $75,000 to the Clinton Foundation before interviewing Hillary Clinton, against company policy, the Washington Free Beacon reported. After finally disclosing, he had to step down from hosting a primary debate.
- Scott Pelley: While the fake news troubles at CBS are legendary — think faked national guard memos from Dan Rather — Pelley has his own issues. They include bias and presenting the news with a virulent anti-Trump slant, like the time he insinuated that Trump was responsible for Syrian war atrocities like the chemical gas attack. Newsbusters reported on the story.
The first step to fixing a problem is admitting you have a problem. By taking umbrage at a truthful statement from Donald Trump about five known purveyors of biased journalism, CNN does itself no favors.
Is there any lingering doubt why, according to a recent poll, Americans trust Trump more than they trust the media?
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Robert Eno is the director of research for Conservative Review. He is a conservative from deep blue Massachusetts but now lives in Greenville, SC. If you see something you’d like him to cover, tweet him @robeno.