Posts tagged ‘Nuclear Weapons’
Several reports out of the China-North Korean border area indicate that Beijing is massing People’s Liberation Army troops on the frontier and has told them to prepare for war.
“Columns of (People’s Liberation Army) trucks have been pictured on the move near Yanji City which is close to the triple border between China, Russia and North Korea,” the U.K. Star reported Tuesday.
According to a computer translation of the Korean-language Daily NK, military trucks have been moving into position at night so as not to attract the attention of locals.
“There were so many soldiers in (vehicles) that there was a traffic jam,” a source reportedly said on Dec. 30. “We have not seen so many soldiers trucking to Yanji so far.”
Sources in the Chinese media have said that the PLA is “preparing for war on the Korean Peninsula” and that army commanders have participated in a “war ceremony” urging their troops to be ready for war. Pictures of the ceremony, shot last month, show massive gatherings of Chinese troops, all of whom were purportedly swearing oaths only given during wartime.
Meanwhile, residents of the area have apparently been told that “Trump (is) to hit North Korea in the New Year, we are preparing for war on the peninsula,” a source said. China’s move comes as North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un warned in his New Year’s Day address that he has a “nuclear button” on his desk and that North Korea would continue its development of atomic weapons in 2018.
“The entire United States is within range of our nuclear weapons, a nuclear button is always on my desk. This is reality, not a threat,” Kim said, according to NBC News.
“This year, we should focus on mass-producing nuclear warheads and ballistic missiles for operational deployment. These weapons will be used only if our society is threatened.”
The troop movement also comes as President Trump accused the Chinese of selling oil to North Korean tankers at sea.
“Caught RED HANDED – very disappointed that China is allowing oil to go into North Korea,” the president tweeted. “There will never be a friendly solution to the North Korea problem if this continues to happen!”
The tweet came after it was revealed that the South Koreans had intercepted a Chinese-flagged vessel accused of selling oil to the North Koreans in violation of United Nations sanctions imposed after Pyongyang’s latest nuclear test. However, reports have also indicated that the incident wasn’t isolated, with Chinese-flagged vessels spotted transferring oil to North Korea 30 times since October.
There have been three possible reasons postulated for China’s massive buildup on the North Korean border. The first is to guard against an influx of refugees should a war break out in North Korea. The second would be to seize assets in the hermit state should the Kim regime fall. The third — and most ominous — is that China could be prepared to join any possible war on North Korea’s side.
While China has shown support for imposing sanctions against North Korea, it’s shown less enthusiasm for actually enforcing them. Beijing is also Pyongyang’s closest ally and trading partner, something that the Trump administration has repeatedly tried to leverage to get Kim Jong Un under control during this latest spell of bellicosity.
Would Beijing be willing to spark a world war over North Korea’s nuclear ambitions, particularly if the first move comes from Pyongyang? It’s not entirely implausible, especially given this latest buildup. Bottom line: If you were worried about Chinese military intervention in North Korea before, this is not a pleasant augury.
H/T Zero Hedge
Ratcheting up tensions in the Middle East — and raising the potential for conflict — a top Iranian general is warning that the Islamic Republic has missiles that can strike all U.S. military bases in the region.
According to Reuters, Gen. Mohammad Ali Jafari, head of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, made the announcement Tuesday in response to news that the U.S. House of Representatives had voted last week for new sanctions on Iran’s missile program.
“Our missiles’ range is 2,000 kilometers (1,200 miles), and that can be increased, but we believe this range is enough for the Islamic Republic as most of the U.S. forces and most of their interests in the region are within this range,” Jafari said ominously.
“Americans are trying to impose new sanctions against the Revolutionary Guards for its missile program, but that is an excuse to harm Iran’s economy,” Jafari continued.
The sanctions the House approved are only related to its missile program, and are technically separate from the Obama-era nuclear deal with Iran, formally known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action. But President Donald Trump opened the door to the action when he decertified that agreement in October, calling it the “worst deal ever made,” according to CNN.
The agreement former President Barack Obama reached with the murderous mullahs of Tehran lifted economic sanctions on Iran in return for a “limited nuclear program” to be used for benefit of its citizenry and not for the manufacture of weapons.
After it was reached in July 2015, however, even Obama administration insiders have admitted the White House manipulated the American media and ultimately deceived the American people about the true nature of the deal.
And now Iran seems to be boasting about its military capabilities in an armed conflict with the United States.
According to Fox News, Jafari sounded like a general ready to fight.
American political and military leaders “know that if they begin a war between Iran and the United States, they will definitely be the main losers and their victory will by no means be guaranteed,” Jafari said.
“Therefore, they won’t start a war,” he declared.
Considering the history of Iran has been unbridled hostility toward the United States since the Islamic Revolution of 1979, no American leader — least of all President Trump — can take these words lightly.
The more America learns about Obama’s Iran deal, and the more Iranians boast about their capabilities, the worse Obama’s legacy looks for endangering American security.
Hopefully, President Donald Trump will take the appropriate action to keep the American people and its armed forces safe, no matter where they are in the world.
Information emerging from furtive North Korea indicates that a tunnel at the regime’s nuclear test site collapsed last month after a nuclear test, killing about 200 people.
A report from Japanese broadcaster TV Asahi, citing unnamed sources, said 100 people were killed in an initial collapse around Sept. 10, and another 100 died in a rescue operation.
Other reports put the date of the collapse as Oct. 10. No official North Korean announcement was made about the date of the collapse.
North Korea’s massive Sept. 3 test caused multiple tremors and landslides in the region, according to Reuters.
Even before news of the tunnel collapse emerged, Western analysts had said the region might be unfit for more nuclear tests.
Reports that a tunnel collapsed triggered fears that radioactive material might also leak out.
Nam Jae-cheol, the chief of South Korea’s Korea Meteorological Administration, said Monday some type of collapse was likely.
“Based on our analysis of satellite imagery, we judge that there is a hollow space, which measures about 60 to 100 meters (in length), at the bottom of Mount Mantap in the Punggye-ri site,” he said. “So, should another nuke test occur, there is the possibility (of a collapse).”
Asked then whether an earthquake could trigger a release of radioactive materials, Nam said, “Should it sink, there is a possibility,” according to the South Korean Yonhap News Agency. September’s hydrogen bomb detonation resulted in a 6.3 magnitude earthquake. Aftershocks led to a 3.4 magnitude quake on Sept. 23 and a 2.9 magnitude quake on Oct. 12. Earlier this month, experts speculated that North Korea’s test site might have suffered irreversible damage.
“The explosion from the Sept. 3 test had such power that the existing tunnels within the underground testing site might have caved in,” said Kim So-gu, head researcher at the Korea Seismological Institute.
“I think the Punggye-ri region is now pretty saturated. If it goes ahead with another test in this area, it could risk radioactive pollution,” he added, as reported by Reuters.
A more powerful underground detonation at the current site could be “potentially suicidal,” not only because of damage from past tests, but also due to potential eruptions at Mount Paektu, a volcano only about 60 miles away, according to Kune Yull Suh, a professor of nuclear engineering at Seoul National University.
The website 38 North, which tracks North Korean activities, reported that the Punggye-ri nuclear test site did sustain damage from the last test. It said there were “numerous landslides throughout the Punggye-ri Nuclear Test Site on the slopes of Mt. Mantap (and beyond) resulting from North Korea’s sixth nuclear test. These disturbances are more numerous and widespread than seen after any of the North’s previous five tests.”
URL of the original posting site: http://conservativetribune.com/kju-missile-new-target-war/
Reports began breaking Monday afternoon that the rogue regime in North Korea had fired off yet another ballistic missile in a provocative manner, this time sending one on a trajectory toward the nearby island nation of Japan. According to Reuters, the missile was fired in the early hours of Tuesday morning in Japan time, crossed over the northern Hokkaido section of Japan and broke apart into three pieces, crashing harmlessly into the Pacific Ocean.
Nevertheless, the Japanese government issued an alert to citizens to take any precautions necessary and prepare for the worst. The missile flying over Japan was the first time North Korea has made such an aggressive move since 2009 and marks a “sharp escalation in tensions on the Korean Peninsula,” Reuters reported.
Japan reportedly did not make any effort to shoot down the missile tracking through their sky, despite currently practicing to do just such a thing with anti-missile batteries deployed at U.S. bases in Japan, according to the Los Angeles Times.
According to Agence France-Presse, the “unidentified ballistic missile” was fired from the Sunan region near the capital of Pyongyang, overflying Japanese territory to crash in the East Sea, part of the Sea of Japan.
“South Korea and the US are jointly analysing for details,” stated a media release from the South Korean military’s Joint Chief of Staff’s office.
A spokesman for the Japanese government said the launch was viewed as a “serious, grave security threat” to the Asian nation, and that “full steps” were being taken to ensure the continued safety of Japanese citizens.
It is thought that the most recent launch — which came just days after three smaller short-range missiles were launched to minimal effect — was in response to the start of a new round of military exercises in the region conducted jointly by U.S. forces and their South Korean counterparts.
The launch also comes at a time when virtually the entire world — including China and Russia, at least publicly — are urging North Korea to refrain from such provocative actions.
Obviously, it remains to be seen if there will be any sort of response to this latest missile launch, as President Donald Trump has promised to unleash “fire and fury” on the communist nation if it attacked any United States territory. South Korean President Moon Jae-in suggested his nation “immediately switch to offensive operations” if the North crossed an unspecified line with its provocations, according to Business Insider.
Of course, we will be sure to update you with any further information as this story continues to develop.
War might not be the inevitable result of North Korean provocations, but it’s coming closer with every step Kim takes.
Please share this on Facebook and Twitter to let everyone know that Kim Jong Un just fired off another missile, this time toward Japan.
What do you think of North Korea firing a missile that flew over top of Japan? Scroll down to comment below!
URL of the original posting site: http://www.westernjournalism.com/china-announces-will-implement-tough-sanctions-north-korea/
For the second time in recent days, China took a major step to put pressure on North Korea to resolve its standoff with the United States over North Korea’s missile development efforts. The Chinese government announced Monday it will implement the sanctions that were imposed against North Korea by the United Nations on Aug. 5.
The Security Council sanctions block nations from accepting North Korea’s primary exports, including coal, iron, iron ore, lead and seafood. The sanctions also target other revenue streams, such as banks and joint ventures with foreign companies. The sanctions could cost North Korea a third of its $3 billion annual export revenue.
Although China did not block the sanctions at the U.N., it was unclear until the announcement whether China, which is North Korea’s largest trading partner, would implement them. China also faces possible action from President Donald Trump, who has said he may order an investigation into allegations of unfair Chinese trade practices.
“It is obviously improper to use one thing as a tool to imposing pressure on another thing,” Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said Monday. “There will be no winner from a trade war, it will be lose-lose.”
Advertisement – story continues below
China’s action to implement the sanctions came days after a state-run newspaper said that if North Korea attacks the United States, it will fight any war that results on its own.
“China should also make clear that if North Korea launches missiles that threaten U.S. soil first and the U.S. retaliates, China will stay neutral,” the Global Times editorial said.
Throughout the escalation of tensions between the United States and North Korea, China has called for restraint.
“The current situation on the Korean Peninsula is complicated and sensitive,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said in a statement Friday.
“China hopes that all relevant parties will be cautious in their words and actions, and do things that help to alleviate tensions and enhance mutual trust, rather than walk on the old pathway of taking turns in shows of strength, and upgrading the tensions,” he said.
Writing in The Washington Post, David Von Drehle said China needs to emerge from the North Korean-American showdown with a win.
” … the audience of greatest concern to China — namely, the other leading countries in the region, including Japan, India, Australia, South Korea, the Philippines and Vietnam — faces the urgent question of whether they can trust a rising China to share in safeguarding their sphere. If the problem of Kim isn’t defused, those nations are sure to seek even deeper alliances with the United States while building their own military capacity. China’s regional influence will shrink rather than grow,” he wrote.
Advertisement – story continues below
URL of the original posting site: http://conservativetribune.com/us-officials-news-border-advantage/
A missile defense system that the United States has begun installing in South Korea has “reached an initial operating capability to defend against North Korean missiles,” according to news reports. U.S. officials confirmed Monday that the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense system, which was deployed to the Korean peninsula in order to counter the threat of missile strikes from Kim Jong Un’s regime, had successfully come online, according to Reuters. However, they cautioned that full operability would not be reached for several months.
The system’s installation has been a point of contention with China, which has argued that THAAD’s radar could be used to spy on Beijing and would weaken the deterrent effect of China’s own ballistic missiles.
“It helps in no way to achieve the denuclearization of the peninsula and regional peace and stability,” Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said last week, according to Agence France-Presse.
On Tuesday, North Korean officials said that the introduction of the THAAD system, in addition to American bomber drills with Japan and South Korea, had pushed the peninsula to “the brink of nuclear war.”
It also said that President Donald Trump and “other U.S. warmongers are crying out for making a preemptive nuclear strike.”
Yes, apparently we’re the warmongers, even as North Korea conducts illegal missile tests and broadcasts concerts with video of San Francisco being blown up by a nuclear weapon.
It’s obvious that Kim Jong In is not tethered to reality. Dictators living in la-la land are hardly anything new, but most of them don’t have nuclear weapons at their disposal.