Are you as worn out as I am over all the “talk” about the Nation’s debt? There is enough blame to go around, and yes neither party is ready for real change, just more posturing for the 2012 elections. Meanwhile families and people continue to suffer, more people are evicted from their homes, more unemployment, a reduction in our Credit Rating, and Congress continues ON VACATION. Am I the only one that sees something wrong?
I’m tired of hearing politicians saying that we are a democracy, because that is what they want us to be. In fact, we are, and always have been a Representative Republic. Although after all the mess from the last few weeks, it’s more like we are a MIS-Representative Republic. No one seems to be in Congress to represent ALL the people in their districts, but only the ones they want to represent. To every other person in that District, that Senator or Congressman is a MIS-representative.
Let’s use real history, unedited, unrevised and non-misrepresented;
- Budgets do not come from the White House. They come from Congress and the party that controlled Congress since January 2007 is the Democratic Party. Furthermore, the Democrats controlled the budget process for FY 2008 & FY 2009 as well as FY 2010 & FY 2011. (FY=fiscal year)
- In that first year, they had to contend with George Bush, which caused them to compromise on spending, when Bush somewhat belatedly got tough on spending increases.
- For FY 2009 though, Nancy Pelosi & Harry Reid bypassed George Bush entirely, passing continuing resolutions to keep government running until Barack Obama could take office. At that time, they passed a massive omnibus spending bill to complete the FY 2009 budgets.
- And where was Barack Obama during this time? He was a member of that very Congress that passed these massive spending bills, and he signed the omnibus bill as President to complete FY 2009. Let’s remember what the deficits looked like during that period: (below)
- The Democrats inherited any deficit, it was the FY 2007 deficit, the last of the Republican budgets. That deficit was the lowest in five years and the fourth straight decline in deficit spending. After that, Democrats in Congress took control of spending, including Barack Obama, who voted for the budgets.
- If Obama inherited anything, he inherited it from himself. In a nutshell, what Obama is saying is I inherited a deficit that I voted for and then I voted to expand that deficit four-fold since January 20th.
Honest Congressional Representatives will admit they know where the money can be found. Most of it is sitting in Banks drawing interest for companies as small as a two-man shop, to large corporations. That money will pay taxes and compensate the entitlements. Yet it will continue to set there until those companies are assured they will get a return on that money with hiring employees and not get put under with taxes and regulations. Our economy will get healthy real fast as soon as they can begin putting people back to work. Congress has been given the simple method to do it, they actually have the answer, but vacation is more important.
Are you angry enough to actually start doing something? If so, then write those letters; send those emails, attend the Town Hall Meetings. Lift your voice and don’t let anyone make it silent.